How would you like to be an integral part of the Division of Interpretation during the busy summer season at Point Reyes National Park? With this internship, you will be providing park orientation, presenting interpretive programs, and furthering outreach to under-resourced communities! There will be two crucial parts to the intern’s work: one will be to promote diversity, relevancy, and inclusion through outreach and community engagement, especially leading up to events; the second will be to promote interpretation and resource education through the creation of roving materials and actively roving in different sites throughout Point Reyes National Seashore. The intern will:
- help promote Point Reyes National Seashore and the National Park Service by creating Latino Conservation Week events in the park in mid-July;
- help brainstorm and host a World Migratory Bird Day event at the park, with Environment for the Americas as a partner;
- gain valuable experience in informal and formal interpretation by working at the Bear Valley visitor center providing park orientation, conducting roves, and delivering park programs;
- support interpretation and resource education by actively roving trails and beaches in the park, contacting the public, and providing informal education;
- partner with other park interns to achieve the Division of Interpretation goals;
- help create materials to enhance roving for interpretive staff.
- Excellent oral communication skills.
- Excellent written skills.
- High social and emotional intelligence.
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse park visitors and staff.
- Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
- Coursework that demonstrates relevancy for interpretation and community outreach (communications, history, ethnic studies, anthropology, English, journalism, etc.).
- Ability to effectively work independently and with others.
- Must be detail-oriented and a team player.
- Must be flexible and adaptable.
- Must wear a VIP uniform piece provided by the park or the Latino Heritage Intern Program.
- Social media experience preferred.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Bilingual Spanish/English